Makes 6 sliders
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup medium spicy salsa
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. chopped chipotle peppers in adobo
- Slider buns
- Chipotle ranch dressing
- Anything else you would normally top a slider with
- Place the chicken, salsa, onions, and chipotle pepper into a slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker on low heat for eight hours and place the top on the slow cooker.
- Let the chicken cook, and after 8 hours, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with two forks once it’s slightly cooled.
- Assemble the sliders as you prefer. I like to top mine with cheese, salsa, and a bit of lettuce.
- Serve immediately.
Helpful Tools and Tips
- This recipe might seem time-intensive due to the eight-hour cooking process, but the good news is that plastics make it possible to cook your chicken in advance to save time on game day. To store cooked chicken for later use, simply seal it in airtight plastic containers and promptly refrigerate. The plastic will lock air out, helping to keep your chicken fresh and ready to reheat on game day—so you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying the game! After the meal, you can also use your plastic containers to store any leftover chicken to eat later.
- Since shredded chicken can be tricky to work with, try using a silicone plastic muffin cup as a mold before placing the chicken onto the bun. Just lightly pack the chicken into the cup to give it shape. Then simply turn over the cup onto the bun to quickly and easily assemble the slider. Since the silicone plastic is nonstick, the chicken will slide right out. As an added bonus, silicone muffin cups are washable and reusable, contributing to sustainability.
- For serving game day snacks and beverages, look for serving bowls, platters, tableware, and drinkware made with plastics. These items are especially great for parties and tailgates because they come in festive colors and are durable. Best of all, it allows you to enjoy the party without having to worry about broken dishes.
- Game Day Recipe ChallengeView the Rest
These sliders are just one of many recipes in our Game Day Challenge.