Leftovers used: Ham, sweet potatoes and pecans combined with holiday pantry-friendly ingredients create this classic comfort food dish perfect for an easy family meal.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (Louisiana yams)
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked lean ham
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1 9-inch refrigerated pie crust
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven 350°F. In large nonstick pot, sauté onion over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and 2/3 cup chicken broth. Bring mixture to boil and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add flour, stirring. Gradually add milk and remaining chicken broth, stirring until well combined.
- Add ham, bring mixture to boil. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to 9x9x2-inch baking dish or ramekins coated with non-stick cooking spray. If mixture is too thick, add more broth or milk.
- Unfold crust and sprinkle pecans on top, fold crust in half, roll with rolling pin, pressing pecans into the crust until it out big enough to cover baking dish. Lay pecan crust on top of baking dish. Bake 25-30 minutes or until the crust is brown.
*Time-saving tip: Prepare sweet potatoes, ham and onions ahead of time and refrigerate in plastic storage containers. Purchase pre-made pie crust at the grocery store—or make your own from scratch the day before and store in the refrigerator in plastic wrap to maintain freshness.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Calories 302, Protein 34g, Carbohydrate 18g, Fat 10g, Calories from Fat 30%, Saturated Fat 3g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Cholesterol 81mg, Sodium 797mg, Dietary Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch
- Plastics Bring Holiday JoyView the Rest
See more holiday recipes and get baking and entertaining tips from Holly Clegg.
About Holly Clegg
Holly Clegg, the best-selling cookbook author, worked with Plastics Make It Possible® to highlight quick and healthy recipes from her new book, Too Hot in the Kitchen, part of her best-selling Trim & Terrific series, to make entertaining your family and repurposing your leftovers this holiday season easy and fun.